From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:25:31 -0700
> Date:    Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:38:45 +0900
> From:    Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: bariatric surgery and metabolism

> What is bariatric surgery? Sounds like a stomach
> staple..?

yes and more.  They reduce the size of the stomach by
various procedures, sometimes folding it over and
stapling it, sometimes actually cutting parts of it
off, they disconnect and reconnect various parts of
the intestines...I'm sure if you do an internet
search on it you will come up with a plethora of
informative sites on this ghastly phenomenon.  The
clinic operating in this area does the roux n y type
surgery -- from what I hear they currently have a 6
patient per day capacity, but are building another or
and ic and will be able to do 24 surgeries per day by
the end of the summer.

 I don't want to get off topic with this thread, so if
no one has any knowledge of this, I'll drop it.  I
feel so strongly I could stand up and soapbox on it
all day long. But mainly what i was hoping for was
info that may help me to anti-def for paleo to the
people in my life who have chosen to go with the
barbaric bariatric surgery.  It's just especially hard
for me to deal with criticism about my chosen eating
habits from people who opted for removal of internal
organs as a solution for what I percieve as a cultural
eating problem.

Pook

http://taxes.yahoo.com/