From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 12:10:20 -0600
At 11:22 AM 5/4/01 -0500, y.h. wrote:
>I have read the book Neanderthin and have been lurking on this list for a
>while. I have tried many diets. From Atkins to McDougal. I still feel tired
>on these plans. I am thinking the Neaderthin book makes a lot of sense. It
>advocates all the foods that seem to make me feel good when I eat them. I
>am sorry, because I am sure you have all discussed this before, but, how
>many of you have lost weight eating this way? Did you have to cut the carbs
>WAY down? I do not feel well if I eat too few carbs, for instance 20 grams
>a day, like on Atkins. Although, I certainly don't feel real great doing
>the high-carb low fat thing either. Also, do you feel really healthy and
>energetic? Better?

I lost probably 20 lbs just by switching and being somewhat conservative on
carbs.  Out of pure curiosity, I started tracking them and found on
average, I was getting around 70 or 80 per day.  Since that seemed to be
the case, I chose to limit them some more to see if that would make a
difference--and I generally eat between 30 and 40 carbs (not including
fiber ones) right now.

I can tell you I have more energy, sleep better, have lost body fat, etc.,
actually *want* to do more conscious exercise (as versus just the normal
walking and such that comes with having dogs).  Clearer mind, too.

Since I have spent less time on the lower carb than I did at the slightly
higher, I don't know if the difference makes a significant difference or
not.  I can say that for me, Atkins level carbs are a bit too low--I feel
like I can't digest anything then--up it a bit (and now is a comfortable
level), and I'm much more comfortable in general.  However, if I've learned
anything over the last few months it's how different we each are!

Dianne