From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:50:47 -0600
From: "Todd Moody"
 >A sudden reduction in carbs carries a risk.

Yes, but the risk may not be limited to *sudden* reduction.  Several months
ago, not long after joining this list, I posted my experience with arrythmia
and electrolyte imbalance after having done an Atkins induction (a couple of
months prior to going paleo), and this after having been  quite low-carb (no
specific diet) for over two years.  I almost went to the hospital with it
(it was THAT bad), but being averse to such places I cornered my vet instead
and ate part of a cow bolus (giant pill w/cal, mag, pot, sodium).  Several
minutes later (<10?) I was fine and dandy.

My guess about the girl is that she probably did have an underlying
electrical problem in her heart.  Maybe MVP which is fairly common in women
and which sometimes has associated arrythmias.  It's usually not discovered
(or presents with symptoms) until late teens to early 20's).  Such was my
case, with the atrial arrythmia problem discovered 12 years before the MVP
was diagnosed.  Fwiw, I also have an incomplete right bundle branch block,
but I think these things are generally asymptomatic.

I don't feel particularly good in ketosis, but Atkins-style is the only
style that has ever given me problems.  Maybe it's the *kind* of low-carb
diet that makes all the difference.  I have gone as low as 0-20gms of carbs
on Paleo and not had any arrythmia problem.

Theola