From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:50:25 +1000
At 13:12 -0400 28/8/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I should have explained better.  I don't have any *mental attitude* such as
>not believing in eating animals.

Lots of people on this list are reformed vegetarians. I was veg for 7
years myself... until I realised my "healthy diet" was making me ill.

The mental attitude isn't anything philosophical like caring about
killing animals. It's an artificial mind-set created within one's
self over many years of avoiding meat. Every time one prepares a
veggie meal, or eats in a restaurant or sees someone else eating
meat, one's vegetarianism is reinforced.

I got to the stage where I could go out to a restaurant and read
through the menu and simply _not see_ the meat dishes -- all I'd
notice were the veggie meals. Weird, huh?

So I suspect that you, like I did, will have a really tough time
reintroducing meat into your diet. It took me three months to be able
to really enjoy the food I was now eating. But the increase in health
and mental clarity makes this WOE overwhelmingly worth while!

>  Also if cow milk bothers a person, most
>likely beef will too - most allergist and allergy books will tell you this.

Milk is a fundamentally different substance from meat. The protein
breakdown between the two are radically different. It's the proteins
that are specific to milk (casein) that cause the intolerance -- some
people simply don't produce the enzymes to digest those proteins.

Oh, I see the problem. You've been consulting allergy resources
regarding milk. Dairy intolerance is not an allergy. It's simply the
inability to digest the proteins. An allergy is when a substance
triggers a response from the immune system resulting in mucous
formation, swelling (often of the respiratory tract) and in severe
cases muscle spasms. Allergies are much easier to identify than
intolerances!

This isn't to say some people aren't allergic to milk, although the
vast majority of people bothered by cow's milk have an intolerance,
not an allergy. For people with a true allergy to milk it may be true
that they are often allergic to beef too. But I would be startled to
find that there was a strong correlation between people being dairy
intolerant and also having a beef allergy.

>If I add higher fat to my fish meal, like nuts, I do better.

Try eating a more fatty fish :)  I love salmon, although it really
does stink the house out when cooked -- best eaten as sashimi. I
often choose salmon when I go out to a restaurant -- let someone else
worry about the stench ;)

>About this dietary concept you speak of, I can't find too many followers of
>this high meat diet.  My physician says that people who don't eat red meat
>live about 12 years longer.  He's been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

Well, he's got a vested interest. I would take his word with a grain
of salt. I've learned not to trust doctors in any case -- they are
just retail outlets of pharmaceutical companies. Fortunately by
eating paleo, I rarely (if ever) get sick, and I intend to live a
long and healthy life with very little contact with medical
practitioners :)

>for the next day or two, I would have had a hypoglycemic-type reaction -
>headache, racy heart, shaky, probably nauseous, etc.

This is a typical response to a high-carb diet. You're probably also
feeling constantly tired, craving sugar or fruit juice and having
what I refer to as "brain fog" -- a general lack of mental acuity.

Getting your carb intake down to a level typical of a hunter-gatherer
diet will help all those symptoms. About 30% of caloric intake,
although personally I feel somewhat lower is better.

Happy hunting!

  ...R.