From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:57:37 -0500
I think the cholesteral hypothesis is "generally accepted" by mainstream
doctors due to brainwashing by the American Heart Association and pushers
of the "prudent diet" ie low fat, high carb.  Check out www.thincs.org  for
some eye opening info.  Also, if you can get your hands on a copy of Melvin
Anchel's Steak Lover's Diet -- it contains a fascinating account of the
history of the American Heart Associations ever-changing cholesterol
recommendations.  Also, check out the following article by Mary Enig, PHD.

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/fats_phony.html

Cholesteral levels naturally raise with age and higher levels in women are
associated with greater longevity.  Regardless of what statin pushers want
us to believe, h
alf of all heart attack patients have cholesteral levels
well within the AHA's guidelines.

The pushers of the so-called Mediterranian diet are either brainwashed or
simply intellectually dishonest.  My father's family comes from Italy and
cheeses, Italian salamis, veal dishes etc (all rich in saturated fats) are
standard fare and always have been.  Of course, so are fresh veggies and
fruit -- but certainly not to the exclusion of saturated fats. (Makes me
laugh when I hear the Greek diet described as low saturated fat -- have
the "researchers" never discovered that full fat feta cheese and yoghurt
and lamb contain the "dreaded" satured fat!  Oh, and I guess the multitude
of varieties of Spanish Choriza (pork sausage) is some sort of fluke.)
Anyway the notion that the traditional Mediterranean diet is low saturated
fat and therefore "heart healthy" is a joke.  Maybe the Italian siesta and

generally more relaxed life-style plus more walking and less junk-food
reduces heart attack rates?  Just a thought.

Check out the references above and especially thincs.org.