Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:06:45 -0700
At 09:09 AM 02/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Adam Carter wrote:
>>
>> I just want to point out that, for those interested, there is more that
>> can be questioned about the way we live than diet. I do appreciate that
>> it is off topic so I won't say any more other than to highly recommend a
>> novel by Daniel Quinn called "Ishmael" as a brilliant introduction to
>> questioning more than just the civilized diet.
>>

>I'm glad you mentioned Daniel Quinn. I just finished reading Ishmael and
>it was totally engrossing. These last couple of years I've been
>interested in, and finding parallels among, paleodiet, Art DeVany's
>evolutionary fitness, Jean Leidloff's Continuum Concept, unschooling,
>and others. Daniel Quinn provides a kind of glue to bind all of these
>together into a larger context.

Try Quinn's other books: "Story of B," "My Ishmael," and... the others I have
put away and can't remember the titles of, drat. His site is:
http://www.ishmael.com/welcome.cfm  and it includes exerpts and transcripts of
talks. He's been quized about his thoughts on diet but has basically said
"That's not the point. There is no one right way to do anything." He's right:
after all we each have a little different idea of what "Paleo" is to
us--but in
accord with Quinn's thinking, we do not press our ideas on others (though I've
got the impression one heck of a lot of us stick our tongues out at
vegetarians, vegans and SAD dieters behind their backs...).

Debby
still struggling over the
crunchy m&m hurdle...