From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:16:52 -0400
kim birney wrote:

> > >I can eat about an once of nuts per week without
> > >experiencing weight gain.
> >
> > What kind of nuts may I ask? Raw, blanched or roasted? Salted or plain?
>
> Eating raw, unsalted almonds, maybe a half once per day, has
> stopped my weight loss. My weight loss is very slow, only
> about 1/2 lb per week.
> I confess that the nuts that caused me to gain were roasted
> and salted. Maybe once I am 100% paleo I will be able to eat
> nuts like the rest of you.
>
> kim birney

  I really like almond butter  spread on apple slices;  it's a great snack or
after dinner "dessert."  Almond butter is expensive relative to peanut butter
but this is mitigated a little by the fact that it is simply and only almonds
and not inclusive of additves and sugar.  My imagination tells me that nuts
had to have been a key paleo food item;  they are nutritionally dense and
very tasty.  The fact that many of us consider them to be addictive and
contributory to weight issues verifies the fact that they would have been
very importatnt to the cyclical availability of seasonal foods.  I think that
we often lose sight of some of the important dynamics of variability in the
paleo food supply.  That is,  big game would have been available on a
sporadic basis and, as has been discussed on this list,   the fat content
would have varied per season. Likewise, nuts are plentiful in the late summer
and fall and can be stored;  berries have a different season as do early
shoots, ripe fruit and edible leafy plants.  Fungi are a whole different
category  proliferating relative to rainfall and special conditions.  My
point is that any of these foods can be problematic if consumed to excess,
particularly in combination with other nutritionally  dense foods.  In paleo
temperate areas, not to mention ice age marginal environments, the food
supply was obviously variant relative to season and weather trends.  We
"warp" the evolutionary pattern with our insistence on grooving certain foods
as year round staples. Check out Art  DeVany's suggestions as to cultivating
a little natural chaos in our daily cycles.  Enjoying food from the source,
not the factory, Rick.