From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:44:54 +0900
> Consider the idea that not everything we consume -- now and then -- is
> always good for us.  It's hypothetical that wild wheat was available in
> the first place.  But even if it was, mere consumption does not imply
> healthfulness.  If if did, Richard Pryor would have his own healthy
> lifestyle show.

I am not arguing too strongly here, just throwing out my unsupported
thoughts. I don't think even wild wheat consumed occasionally was
'healthy', just that it wasn't noticeably unhealthy. That is all. I
think paleo people ate all kinds of seeds, grains, legumes,
questionable roots, tree bark, anything they could get their teeth
around, when they had to, or had the urge to. As a kid we used to chop
gashes in tree bark in the spring and lick up the sweet sap that welled
out. That is not to say any of this is a good idea for us to do now.

> Thomas > For weight lifters, I have to ask, what is the point? If you
> want to build giant muscles, don't expect the paleo diet to help
>
> Very few humans have the ability to build giant muscles.  The goal is
> peak fitness.  Read the article below and you'll begin to get an idea
> of how weight training, properly performed at very high levels of
> intensity, is the single best *cardio* workout possible.  After all,
> what is the purpose of the heart anyway?  To provide blood to the
> body's tissues.  Work the muscular system intensely and you're gonna
> raise the heart muscle and lungs intensely too.
>
> http://www.baye.com/articles/aerobics_just_say_no.html

Sure. But none of that changes my point. If you want unnatural results,
you have to put in unnatural ingredients. It is natural for a few
people to have big bulgy muscles. I like most puny guys sort of envy
those people. I would like to have that body, but without some serious
scientific advances in gene therapy or hormones or bionics I never
will. If someone wants to put in the time and effort required to get
that body, great! Unless you are one of those naturally muscly people
though, you will have to do unnatural things to get it. My point is
that pursuing the paleo diet, beyond making your body more healthy and
resilient, won't help you much to get it.

I do think that paleo will help you get a sleek, well-toned and
taut-muscled body, and with less effort than other diets, simply
because your body isn't fighting itself all the time, repairing the
damage done by a bad diet. I know exercise is far easier, and recovery
much faster now that I am on paleo. I am not saying people should not
lift weights. I did for a long time myself.