From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:51:59 -0700
This list will definitely not exceed its limit today.

Richard Keene wrote:

> This seems too narrow of definition of what should be talked about
> on this list.  How do we get this definition changed?

Convince me that there is a paleo topic that I have missed and I will
approve it. I am open but this is a paleo list and we should not be
searching for non paleo solutions to our problems here. I personally
do some non paleo things (raw dairy ) but I do not bring them here.

> In fact, all the concepts listed here do have a bearing on
> the followers of Paleo diets because they effect:
>
> - dietary supplements: Imbalances in the diet due to modern
>   fods being less rich in phytochemicals.

Too bad that we cannot find health in a bottle but it doesn't work
that way. Our bodies evolved on getting the necessary nutrients from
the available food supply. This is the paleo way. We must find the
proper balance in our body and supplements will quickly put us out of
balance. Your body cannot be tricked for very long. Excess is just as
harmful as deficiency. The body knows if given the chance.

> - dentistry and medicine: Most AMA doctors are anti-Paleo

Need more be said?

> - health practices: Isn't Paloe a health practice, especialy the
>   exercise aspects that are an integral part of the diet.

Paleo is a healthy way of living and discussion of exercise is fine.

> - religious dietary practices: Greatly effect the will power to
>   stay on the diet.  In fact NeanderThin has some very religious
>   statements, though a bit tounge-in-cheek, and it is the reference
>   book of this list.

If you can find some paleolithic religious dietary practices they
could be worthy of discussion. I don't know of any.

> - attacks ... : Attacks are bad, but reasoned criticism of flawed
> theories of reasoning seem to be part of the scientific process and
> gradua evolution of the theory.

Discussion of ideas is what we are supposed to be doing here just not
attacking the person who posted the message.

> - Vegetarians: They are welcome.  MAny on this list are X-vegetarians.

I was a vegan activist for about 10 years until I discovered that my
own health was failing. I started eating animal products and quickly
gained about 20 pounds (~ 10 kilos) mostly muscle. I had been starving
myself for an idea that had stopped working for me.

> I do agree that recently there have been some rather off topic
> postings, some from me, but isn't that part of any discussion
> among a highly diverse group?

A little off topic is ok but this has become excessive.

> Also as to the number of posts.  Some days I simply delete them all
> unread.

Doesn't that say something?

> So anyway, lets get this statement changed.
>
> >Off topic subjects are almost everything else. This would include
> >dietary supplements, modern dentistry and medicine, health practices
> >not available to Hunter/Gathers, religious dietary practices and
> >attacks on the consumption of animal foods. If you are following a
> >vegetarian paleo diet it is ok to discuss your diet but remember that
> >most subscribers are not vegetarians.

Show me what needs to change here and still keep this a paleo list.

David Karas
listowner paleofood