From:
Craig Coonrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:56:31 -0700
You asked a very general question, because there is multiple commercial
salmon seasons and multiple species of fish (chum, pink, sockeye, coho,
king, atlantic). Bristol Bay sockeye season just ened in Alaska a few
weeks back...the Columbia river King fishery is just about to start.

I wouldn't worry too much about the seasons... and just make sure that
when you buy salmon it is not farmed salmon (say no to drugs, don't eat
farmed fish). Farmed salmon, is a completely inferior fish to an ocean
wild or even hatchery salmon.

They're often fed food like corn meal...and they will have very low
levels, or none of Omega three fatty acids...and the texture is that of
like oatmeal. It's pure and total garbage fish...I can't overstate that
enough. I will now not go off on a tirade about farmed salmon :)

In terms of texture and flavor, I would personally say that nothing beats
a wild alaskan sockeye salmon. Followed in second place by a king.

Craig