From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:34:43 -0700
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:38:24 -0700, ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's kind of interesting; we tend to look at fat folks as too weak in
>character to diet or exercise. But individuals just can't help it: under
>the circumstances we cannot help but become ill, just by following
>perfectly natural drives to eat carbs. It's certainly related to any other
>addiction, as they all work on the same centers for satisfaction.

It's hard to generalize, as some individuals (cf some of my relatives) are
simply too self indulgent.

However, by far the biggest factor is that all of the public media sources of
health information are wrong on almost every point - and a lot of it is willful
disinformation (cf http://www.westonaprice.org/oiling.htm ) bordering on sheer
evil.

There are two aspects to this:

(1) That the normal diet of the relatively affluent person a hundred years ago
was significantly more healthy than that of today.   This is the big deception
that has been engineered over the past 30 years by the processed food industry,
arm in arm with some of the medical establishment.  It seems to me that there is
some hope for exposing this, as it still allows people to eat most of their
familiar foods, just in different proportions and forms - and thus the
resistance to this idea might not be so great as to....

(2) That the normal diet of human beings over the past 20,000 years (or is that
100,000 years?) is significantly less healthy than that of the Paleolithic Era.
This is very difficult to convince people about, since it means that virtually
all of the food preparations of civilization are unhealthy.  Only the most open
minded of people can accept this - which usually means virtually no health
professionals, which makes it very difficult for this truth to ever become
widespread.

So, getting back to the original subject, you can hardly blame people for
believing what everyone else believes....

--
Cheers,

Ken