From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:15:06 -0500
There are lots of numbers that can be applied to any diet
plan - ratios of this to that, values of this and
that....there seem to be a number of folk on this list who
have a good grasp of these numbers and how to tweak them to
achieve desired results.  I am not one inclined to make my
life a chemistry experiment for a number of reasons.  But it
seems a simple guide of some sort would perhaps help us
all.  So here's my understanding of it all in very simple
terms.  Please feel free to correct or extrapolate.  Thanks!

Carb = 4 calories/gram, protein = 4 c/gm, fat = 9 c/gm
Average SAD diet plan:
60% carbs, 20-30% fats, 10-20% protein.
Therefore, 1200 cal/day SAD "reducing" diet:
carbs = 60% of 1200 = 720 calories = 180 grams
protein = 20% of 1200 = 240 calories = 60 grams
fat = 20% of 1200 = 240 calories = 26.67 grams
1 kilogram = 1000 grams = 2.2 pounds
therefore: 60 grams/1000 grams = x/2.2 lbs (or 35.2 oz)
     60(35.2) = 1000x
     2112 = 1000x  or  2.112 oz of protein a day???

Ok, what is wrong with this picture?  [I've shown my work,
just like in math class LOL]
And, does anyone have the suggested ratios of
carb:protein:fat for paleo eating?  I thot I had it
somewhere but can't find it now.

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee