From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 10:47:07 -0700
On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Mary wrote:

> Thank you, Julie.
>
> So, in California, would the white tail population be growing while mule is
> declining? When I got my CDA magazine, awhile back,  it implied that deer as
> a whole were declining, not just mule deer. Maybe they were mistaken, or I
> did not read it correctly....

There are no whitetails in California - just mule and blacktail
deer.  Whitetails are generally found east of the Rockies and
mule deer to the west.  Blacktails live along the northwestern
coastal areas.

> When people raise pastured deer, (like in NZ) which variety are they
> raising? Sounds like white tail  might be easier to raise on pasture?

Fallow deer are easy to raise and a lot of pastured venison comes
from them.  Red deer are also commonly raised and provide a
lot more meat since they're larger.  In warm areas, people also
raise axis deer.   You really don't know what you're getting
if you buy a package labeled "venison", but it's probably one
of these three deer.

> ps to see some nice photos of beef (cattle!) look at cattlesale.com

Yummy!  (Hee hee)

Julie