From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:06:41 -0600
>>> Can any dog owners confirm that dogs prefer cooked meat to raw?
>>

>Irrelevant, isn't it?=20

How is it irrelevant? Most of the raw foodists (and instinctos and NH'ers and macrobioitics-ers) claim we "moderns" have destroyed our innate ability to chose the foods that are "natural" for us. Theoretically, dogs - because they don't "think" about it and are not civilized - should still have most of those lost instincts intact. Obviously the best test would be using wild dogs or wolves, but that would not be practical for most of us. (However, it should be noted that wolves - and bears - often raid garbage cans containing all kinds of cooked and junk foods. Easier? Maybe. Anti-instinct? Obviously).

One of the things I find (a bit :) annoying about this list is the excess "spinning" that goes on. The question posed was "do dogs **prefer** raw over cooked meat", not whether it was healthier (I believe it is). Well, anyone who has a dog (a real dog, not a "purse dog" :) will note that - in general:

1) Dogs don't care if something is raw or cooked as long as it looks, smells and tastes like food. Sometimes it doesn't even have to remotely resemble food
2) Dogs gulp their food so quickly they've already forgotten what they ate moments after swallowing it

I have three dogs, all with different "tastes" and personalities. The "glutton" labrador will eat anything and everything, even lettuce and tomatoes. The border collie mix seems to be genetically programmed to "watch her figure" and is very picky - but, shows no preference for raw vs. cooked meat. The corgi mix - our ADD dog - is completely unpredictable as far as his preferences for *anything* (but, he does love shrimp, which is a new one on me. Even the lab spits that out).

Considering the fact that - if given the opportunity - dogs will eat "kitty rocha" (cat poop), I'm not sure what you can take from the examples listed above. However, in the interest of "science", I will test each dog with some cooked beef and raw beef and report back any tendencies.