From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 04:39:53 -0500
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:30:18 -0500, JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>collards are not a New World food, they are Mediterranean/African in
>origin.

yes.
Natural wildlife collard, grows near seashores,
quite north. In the old world.
I've seen photos of it at the island Helgoland (north sea).
It's the grandfather (and mother if you like) of quite a lot of
plants like brocoli, cauliflower, cabbare, brussels sprouts,
sauerkraut :-)

Very rich in vitamin C (and vitamin K).
I'm shure it has been eaten by any north hunters.
It grows more north than rose-hips, it may be some root-vitamin C supply for
late paleolithicum.
And in ice ages I think it was rumex (sorrel).
It grew in the short summers.

Amadeus