From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:20:13 +0200
> I am starting my 4 month old son on solid foods soon. The doctors
recommend
> iron fortified rice cereal. I want to start with fruits and veggies, but I
am
> concerned about anemia. what ate good sources of iron that can be fed to a
4
> month old?
>
> Thanx, Alex

I recommend a large apron and no carpet on the floor. Then put the child on
your lap and the food that you decide on for the baby (ground meat or mashed
banana seems good) on the verge of your own plate. If old and mature enough
he/she will stretch out for whatever there is and taste it. Almost nothing
will go down into the tummy so it will do neither good nor harm. Evolution
made children want to eat what their parents eat because what parents eat
and do must be safe, don't you think?

It is true that bacteria feed on iron so when people get infected the body
responds with lowering the amount of iron that you have in your body. Then
you go to the doctor and they noticed a very long time ago that sick people
often have low deposits of iron and doctors believe that the best thing is
to give you some iron. And believe it or not, they don't do it out of the
evil of their hearts, they do it because they were never taught to think in
evolutionary terms.

It is also true that the baby is pumped up with all the minerals it needs
probably for longer time than 6 months and as long as the baby is breastfed
and offered other paleo foods you need not worry. Fortified rice cereal
sounds as bad as it can get.

A hug to your baby
Eva