From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:30:42 EDT
Rachel,

<<I've been corresponding with [Cordain].  He going to write the foreword for
my
paleo diet cookbook.>>

Wow--I'm impressed.  Lucky you!  I've been reading his messages in the
PaleoDiet archives, and I can tell how knowledgeable he is.

<<You might want to put a pre-order in for Cordain's book.>>

I already did.  I'd like to pre-order yours, too.  Can I do that?  Let me
know if you need any help testing recipes.  I love to cook, and I really want
to give this way of eating a try.

<<Some of his writings may be found at <www.beyondveg.com>>

This is a wealth of info--great reference.  I happened on this site one other
time, but it was before I was really thinking about paleolithic nutrition and
I didn't read all the papers.  There is so much great info on the internet.

<<Btw: If you have not
read articles found on the <www.paleodiet.com> site, I urge you to spend
some time there.  You'll find many articles on the problems with grains,
beans, legumes, etc.>>

I've read some, but not all.  There is so much to read!  Already I'm glued to
the computer, reading the paleodiet archives.

<<Consider taking a good probiotic supplement.  The best quality and most
economical one I've found, sold in natural food stores, is Nature's Way
(brand) Primadophilus REUTERI.  It's cincially proven and contains certain
beneficial flora strains not found in other probiotitics.  It is
hypotallergenic and sold in the refrigerator section of health food stores.>>

I'll make a note of this one.  I've been taking a supplement from
customprobiotics.com.  Are you familiar with this?  My gastroenterologist
said the important thing is to use human-based strains since these repopulate
the gut.  Cow-based strains pass right through you and do nothing.  He said
that Culturelle (a brand name) contains a "GG" strain that has been shown to
be effective, and bifidus is also helpful.

<<The quote about vinegar, from a correspondence with Cordain, basically says
that it can weaken the intestinal wall, which can allowing food to pass
through the wall that should not.  The context was a discussion about how
even modest, infrequent amounts of vinegars and tamari (soy sauce) can
upset intestinal epithelial tissues and aggravate the condition of
individuals who have autoimmune disorders.>>

That's depressing.  I was hoping to get away with ignoring the vinegar ban.
But intestines are my weak part, so I'd better not.  How to tenderize lean
beef?  I just sliced up some beef round and sauteed it quickly in olive oil
with some balsamic vinegar and cherry tomatoes from my garden.  (I know I
shouldn't be eating cherry tomatoes, but I planted them and I love them and
my garden is overflowing with them.)  Maybe next time I'll try lime juice and
some other sweet vegetable to tenderize.  I'm trying to stay away from salt,
so I need something else to add flavor.  Maybe I can do something with herbs?
 I'm growing those, too.  My boyfriend is going on this diet with me because
he has high blood pressure and asthma, so I really don't want to use salt.

<<Psyllium husks are not grains.  They come from a seed.>>

That's good to know.

You're a fountain of info, Rachel.  I really appreciate your sharing your
knowledge with me.

     - Sheryl