From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:54:20 -0800
--- Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I noticed that Website I cited reports that
> Bernstein thinks even the random
> glucose shouldn't go above 100. My random glucose
> was 127 once, after I had
> my occasional treat of some sucrose-sweetened mints
> about an hour before the
> test. That tells me that I should try to avoid
> sweets even more than I do.
> What has your random glucose been like?

Not much over a hundred if I stay away from the carbs.
 A cup of rice will send me soaring over 150.

> Mark, given the review that Oliva provided a link
> to, which argues that
> saturated fat impairs insulin sensitivity (not that
> I'm necessarily agreeing
> with that claim), and given that you seem to consume
> a lot of saturated fat,
> I'm curious as to whether the four or five others
> also were consuming large
> amounts of saturated fat. Do you know? Do you know
> if they all have more
> body fat than a thin Paleo dieter like Ray Audette?
> Have you noticed any
> similarities between the people with high FBG?
> Trying to think of possible
> connections.

None so far, but I haven't had extensive discussions
with them yet.  My feeling is that it may have to do
with the saturated fat, and the fact that I may have
been IR when I started with this diet.  I bought the
whole high carb, low fat thing in a big way up until 7
or 8 years ago.

> Another possible factor is level omega-3 and -6
> fats, irrespective of
> saturated fat levels. Since the omega-3 and -6 fats
> allegedly improve
> insulin sensitivity, could it be that the high-FBG
> Paleo dieters are
> consuming a small amount or small relative
> proportion of these fats? Or
> maybe the key is the balance (the ratio of SFA's to
> omega-3's), as the
> review that Oliva cited suggests.

I've experimented with omega 3's, and have taken some
pretty high doses without any noticable effect on
blood sugars.  Same goes for cinnamon, reservatrol,
chromium, vanadyl sulfate, krill oil, and probably a
few more I'm forgetting about.  The only thing that
consistantly lowers my numbers is alcohol.

> I also wonder if body fat has something to do with
> it.

I've considered that as well, and should find out
soon, as I'm approaching 12% body fat right now, and
am shooting for 10% by this summer.

I have a lot of Native American blood in me, so my
inability to deal with neolithic foods may have
something to do with all this, especially when you
take into consideration all the damage I must have
done to myself  prior to going paleo. Maybe at this
point I have to get everything absolutely perfect to
fix the problem.

Thanks for all the replies!
Mark

http://new.mail.yahoo.com