From:
Aaron Felker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:06:21 PDT
Most "beans" are seeds of various plants, they are made up of all of the
necessary parts of a young plant.  When you split a peanut in half, you see
two equal halves and a small bit on one end, the two halves are the
cotyledons (embryonic leaf), the bit on the end is the embryo.  When the
seed germinates, the embryo sends off a root/stem and the cotyledons open
and start making food for the plant.

Aaron Felker