Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:16:12 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> posted:
>>Btw. I don't understand, why roots shouldn't be "permitted" even by a book
like neanderthin.

My reply:
Roots have been eaten by many HGs.  I think the confusion may lie in the
fact that in Ray's book (latest and also previous editions), turnips and
beets are listed under the heading of "potatoes," which they are not.
Roots and potatoes (as well as yams, taro root, etc) come from completely
different "families" than potatoes.

I don't see any reason why roots should be avoided.  Potatoes contain
solanine, a potentially poisonous alkaloid, which can cause problems for
many people, particularly those with arthritis, Lupus, or other autoimmune
disorders.  However, roots are not in the same family.  For that matter,
neither are sweet potatoes (which are totally unrelated to potatoes).  But
let's not start a whole long discussion about potatoes and sweet potatoes.
We've done that several times on this list!.

Rachel