Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 17:02:37 GMT
On Sun, 9 May 1999 16:00:32 -0400, Donna H <[log in to unmask]> quoth:

>The one tale I have heard and probably
>repeated here before is about peanut butter manufacturers extracting
>oil from peanuts to sell separately for more money, and injecting cheap
>soy oil into their peanut butter to replace it. Ech.

"Natural" peanut butters have only ground peanuts, supposedly,
but I guess analysis would show soy-adulteration sure enough.
Most commercial brands do contain hydrogenated oils, however.

But since peanuts, their inevitable aflatoxin contamination,
and any other profitable adulterants (shortening, dextrose,
preservatives) that manufacturers might use are all Non-Paleo
anyway, it's just another pat on the back for all us Caveguys/gals.

The really scary thing I saw in the Co-op the other day was, are
you ready, "gourmet" roasted soybean butter, going for about the
same price as Deaf Smith P-butter.  Touted all sorts of health
claims for use of soy... yeah, right.  Double ech.