From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:22:27 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/02 4:32:01 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>various traits we now associate with ADHD may have
>been a 'plus' in a hunter-gatherer society. The
>shortened attention span, the quick 'switch' from
>thought to thought, the reactionary behavior, and my
>favorite, the occasional 'hyper-focus' traits would
>all tend to favor the hunter, but might have also
>improved the gatherer's 'job'. ADHD would not have
>been much of a liability until agriculture arrived on
>the scene and people were expected to participate in
>mundane, monotonous activities all day. And of course
>it is much more noticeable in today's world when the
>ADHD individual is expected to handle not only mundane
>activities but also be able to organize a ton of
>unrelated bits of data every day.

Quite interesting -- my daughter was diagnosed with ADD -- from the time she
was an infant the thing that one could not help but notice about her was her
'alertness' -- resembled that of a wild animal or bird. She didn't miss a
thing -- still doesn't (she's 20 years old now). She's also extraordinarily
'visual' -- she simply seems to see more detail at a glance than others; also
has an amazing visual memory. Although her visual skills seem to abandon her
when it comes to reading -- still has difficulty. Yet she is an absolute
master at the computer game 'tetris' -- unconsciously twists those geometric
shapes to fit at amazing speed. Of course, she had all the normal ADD
problems in school -- inattentiveness, impulsivity, etc. Been on all kinds of
medication --finally getting her to try some diet changes -- fewer carbs, no
sugar or artificial colors, more protein and fish oil. She's a true sugar
addict!!  We shall see.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>