From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:56:06 +1100
A couple of points about the Hunzas.

During the first and second world wars the Hunza males of conscriptable
age assumed the identities of their father or grandfather to avoid the
draft. So many Hunza who say they are 120 are in fact only 80. And no
written records of births were kept (or were destroyed to help men avoid
the draft) which makes it hard to verify the Hunza's claimed ages.

I read a study last year where the researcher had tried to determine
the ages of the Hunzas by asking them about events that happened
throughout their life. As I recall the age of the people interviewed
was typically about 20 years younger than they claimed.

And on the Hunza diet... it is reportedly a fairly low-calorie diet, at
around 1900 calories per day. If this is true, the caloric restriction
would have a major impact on lifespan.

And of course they lead an active life well into old age. No sitting
around in a nursing home waiting to die for them. That has to have a
tremendous impact on longevity too. Use it or lose it, as they say.

I don't have references to any of these claims and don't have the
time to do any research right now. I'm sure Google knows where I
got these ideas from though!

It's also worth reading up on the Okinawans. They are the longest-
lived people with well-documented records of births dating back over
a hundred years. They also eat a low calorie diet.

 ...R.