Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:33:39 -0400
-Dori Zook said:
>I'm still wondering about certain squashes.  Zucchini and yellow squash are
both on the ok-list.
>  But I'm still wondering about other squashes, or should I refer to them
as gourds?  These include acorn, butternut and spaghetti squashes.

Acorn, butternut, buttercup, and other winter squashes are definitely not
gourds.  Botanically speaking, they are classified as FRUITS!  Cut open a
buttercup, kabocha squash. or Hokaido pumpkin and the interior resembles a
melon.  The exterior of many of them resembles a melon wrt the lines on the
outside.  The interior color is deep orange, the seeds are plentiful, and if
fully ripened and properly prepared, the flesh tastes very fruity.

You can eat them raw--they are not nearly as pleasant that way and the
texture may discourage you from eating much of them, but they are edible
raw.  Many Paleo people would say they are not Paleo, although I don't know
what Loren Cordain would say.  I've read that he thinks roots are very
Paleo....and I've read that many primitive groups eat/ate tubers also (and
were very healthy).  Incidentally, sweet potatoes (a tuber unrelated to
common potato) are also edible raw, although most favor the taste of them
when cooked.

You or I may draw the line in a different place than some other Paleo
People.  If you ask 10 (or 20 or 30) modern Paleo people what they eat and
how they define the parameters of a Paleo diet, you'll probably get some
widely different answers.   You'll probably carve out your own path
eventually....

...hope that helps!

Rachel

PS.  Your questions don't sound dumb to me!  It never hurts to ask...