From:
Bruce Sherrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 19:30:09 -0400
>>One of the downsides of this diet is that you don't have 'stuff to put
>>things on.' Things like bread for meats, fish etc, and corn chips for
>>guacamole.

Try thinly sliced zucchini, cucumber, jicama, sunchokes, carrots, fennel
bulb, celery, yams, or other vegetables.  You can also make "chips"
fashioned from purple cabbage.  Any of the above can be dehydrated too.
I especially like dehydrated zucchini.

For tortillas, try lettuce leaves.   For a softer tortilla (say, for
a burrito), blanch the lettuce leaves for about 10 seconds in boiling
water.   Drain carefully and pat dry.

I use blanched napa cabbage leaves to make paleo potstickers.

I've been fairly successful with nut pancakes too, following
the recipes on www.paleofood.com.  Use lots of oil.

>Maybe we can dry vegetables sliced thinly and use them for crackers. I saw
>the owner of the raw restaurant in San Francisco, Organica/Organika? on
>foodtv. He was doing a lot with raw vegetables and dips.

That's Juliano Brotman, of the restaurant "Organica," formerly "Raw".
His recipes are available in his cookbook, called "_Raw_, the Uncookbook."
Alas, most of the recipes are not paleo, containing large amounts of corn,
sprouted grains and legumes, carob, cashews, maple syrup, and other
non-paleo ingredients.  He also uses large amounts of dates, beets,
sweet fruit, juice, honey and salt, which are not strictly speaking
excluded from the paleo diet but for which most of us shy away from in
large amounts.  Also, his nutrition advice is often wrong and his health
claims are outrageous. [1]

That aside, Juliano does have some good recipes, as well as numerous
alternatives for things like chips and tortillas.  For example, with
guacamole most of his recipes suggest thinly sliced carrots, sunchokes,
and yams.

-Bruce
[1] I wrote a rather long post about this on a vegetarian mailing
list, which I'll reiterate if anyone is interested.  Most of the
salient points can be found in other forms on www.beyondveg.com.