From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:42:00 +0900
On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 09:38  AM, William wrote:

> Not the same for iron, however the trivial iron deficiency is said to
> protect against infection, while the infant is lacking a competent
> immune
> system.
>
> The marvel is that a physician can be so blind.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. The doc has a point. We may
agree that iron fortified rice isn't the best answer, but NO
supplemental iron also isn't good. In fact I would give the rice if
that was the only iron source I had to give my baby! The problem is
that babies DO need iron, and in nature they would have plenty of iron
simply from sucking their dirty fingers. Few modern mothers are willing
to go for that now, and anyway the dirt babies are likely to find is
probably contaminated city dirt anyway, not clean forest dirt.

My Dad raised pigs, and some were born and raised outside on dirt and
some in buildings. The ones inside got iron shots and iron added to
their food. The ones outside didn't need it. The same is true for
people. That is why I suggested pureed meat. Some baby food makers even
offer liver. I guess not many babies like it much, mine didn't, but it
is better than nothing, if they eat a few bites.