From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 01:35:23 -0700
>> For me it is simple no food preparation except the
>> harvesting of the daily
>> mixture of greens and fresh herbs mixed in a salad
>> bowl
>
>Jean Claude, I believe you live somewhere in western
>Canada (BC?). Is your climate such that the greens you
>harvest are available year 'round? Or do you have to
>supplement them with store bought greens during the
>winter months?

yes we can have greens all year round i supplement with lettuce and
chicorees bought organic during the cold of winter.( dec january )
corn salad do very well here ,only in december and half january it stops
growing ,february march is abondant . if i had to live in snow country i
will sprout ,  just question of growing enough seeds in the summer time  . I
think the benefit of eating alive  under glass are greater than eating
outdoor commercially grown but shipped from far greens.

>> Without this compensation i was undereating
>> vegetables .
>
>I guess that statement confuses me somewhat. If, as an
>instincto, you are so "in tune" with your body, how
>can you possibly be undereating vegetables? Shouldn't
>your body have been telling you that instinctively?
>I'm not trying to start an argument here, but it seems
>that there is a problem with the whole instinctive
>eating philosophy when you have to use "reason"
>(thinking) to modify your (instinctive) eating
>pattern. No?

Because there is more to eat instinctively than merelly folowing its
instinctive taste appeal  . As i tried to point out , the environmental
factor of availabiiity of the differents kind of foods  have not been
adressed by Guy claude Burger.
Greens are omnipresent in a natural environment compared to fruits nuts or
meats so the taste have not to be as appealling than a more difficult to
find food.
The whole instincto phiosophy is based on raison at least to set up  the
closest possible  natural frame work in whitch instinct have been designed
to function.
Take breast feeding that is instinctively sought by young mamals ,if the
nipple is not available the instinctive urge to suck will have to find an
other expression than the one it was designed to perform.( like sucking the
finger of the caretaker)
WHen you process your food the instinctive urge is still trying to function
even if it makes you "suck " on ice cream when the fruit is not made
available.

without guidance from reason the instinct is lost. ( burger as a rationalist
allways gave emphasis on that )
The frame work of instinctive eating presented by Burger is one step .( no
denaturation of foods ) but we have to go farther to erase thousands of
years of erring ways concerning our reationship to food and by consequent
our environment.
Taking in accompt the relative difficulties of avalabilty of the differents
kinds of food source is an other one .

that is the most common missunderstanding of instincive eating concept ,it
is not a vague feeling of one can eat, it is very concrete  rational.and
experiential
the reason got us out of control the reason will help us to find  back the
tracks.

jean-claude