Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:55:09 -0600
>The flaw of this line of argument is that there is no such thing as "objective
>data".  There is no such thing as a "reality" beyond your own mind.

Nearly all data is objective.  All interpretation of that data is subjective.

>If most human beings have the same impression, it is called a "consensus".

Or a delusion.

>Living in a human society means following that consensus while in contact with
>other human beings.

No it doesn't.  It's rare that I ever come across two people who ever think
the same thing about anything.  Can you even get two people on this list to
agree to exactly the same definition of a Paleo diet and lifestyle?

>There is a common ( but not consensus :-)  ) misunderstanding that the word
>"religion" means a belief.    All that does is destroy the word (since the
>word
>"belief" works just fine to say "belief".

Not quite.  A belief in the Paleo Diet is basically saying that you are
religious about the subject.  Surely you must have heard the phrase "He
lives, breathes, and eats Paleo - it's a religion with him".  You can
replace the word Paleo in that sentence with whatever subject you like.

>    The word "religion" means:

That's not what it means.  That's just the common usage.  A dictionary does
not define a word.  The word comes first, and then the dictionary documents
it as best able.

Anyway, all definitions are cyclical.

Religion: 1 belief in superhuman controlling power, esp. in personal God or
gods entitled to obedience. 2 study of religious belief. 3 particular
system of faith and worship.

Faith: 1 trust. 2 religious belief; creed. 3 loyalty, trustworthiness

Trust: 1 place trust in; believe in; rely on.

Belief: 1 act of believing. 2 what one believes. 3 trust, confidence. 4
acceptance as true.

These were all taken from http://www.askoxford.com

As you can see, Belief means believe and it also means trust.  Trust means
trust and believe.  Faith means trust and religious belief.  Religion means
religious belief and faith.  Can you not see that the words mean nothing
except the meaning that you choose to give them?

Anyway, this is way off topic.  I was just showing you that the word cure
does not mean cured for ever under all circumstances.  My apologies to the
moderator, but I felt it necessary to back up my original statement.

Kat.