From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:56:56 -0400
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Ken Stuart wrote:

> So, how does this refining process cause health problems?
>
> In the case of grains, etc., Neanderthin posits that the proteins cause immune
> problems.
>
> What is the corresponding problem with refined versions of paleo foods?

The only plausible answer that we have so far is that refining
makes it possible to eat these foods (or ingredients) in
quantities that would be impossible if they were eaten in their
natural state.  Also, if the food in the natural state has any
components that would provide a balancing or synergistic effect,
refining does away with these components.

In the case of grains, the case against them according to
Neanderthin has relatively little to do with the fact that they
are refined, since the proteins are there in the whole grain as
well.  In fact, they are more plentiful in the whole grain, since
some of that protein is lost when it is refined into, say, flour.
I.e., the wheat germ is lost, and wheat germ has a fair amount of
protein.

But by baking the refined flour into bread, cakes, and so on, we
are able to eat massive quantities of what is almost pure
carbohydrate, far more than we would ever be likely to eat if we
were chewing on "green" wheat kernels that we harvested by hand
from stalks.

Juicing is a form of refining, especially if the fruit pulp is
mostly filtered out.  I think it takes about 8 oranges to squeeze
a cup of orange juice.  How many of us would actually eat the 8
oranges?

Todd Moody