From:
Aaron Sugarman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:12:03 EDT

<< This brings up the point I was wondering about for quite some time.
 We know that there is a statistical correlation between cholesterol
 and cardiovascular health. However, overwhelming majority of people
 with elevated cholesterol nowadays get it from overeating carbs. >>

I read something interesting recently that said that any stress or situation
which causes us to be more alert/on edge increases cholesterol.  It is tied to
a natural response in hunter/gatherers and that as they track their animals
during the hunt, the cholesterol gets 'burned' so that they don't have any
problems.  We still have the same body, so if we're stuck in traffic and want
to 'hunt' the people cutting us off, or whatever, we'll have that elevated
response but without the 10 mile hike to catch the animal, we just wind up
with the cholesterol.

Aaron