From:
Erik Haugan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:57:05 +0100
* Erik Fridén:
> Well, obviously you can eat lutfisk without bechamel sauce!

Obviously.  Actually, I have never heard of béchamel with lutefisk.  In
western Norway, where I live, we eat lutefisk with bacon, green peas and
potatoes.  It is also commonly served with potato torillas, carrots,
mustard, syrup, and brown whey cheese (brunost).  It is mostly eaten
around christmas, but on christmas eve pork ribs or cured lamb ribs
(pinnekjøt) are more popular.

> By the by, I would consider the Norwegian national-dish to be "får i kål"
> ("sheep in cabbage").

I agree, but it is spelled "fårikål".  Nowdays it is nearly always made
from lamb, and on menus it is commonly called "Norwegian lamb stew" in
English.  It is mostly eaten in the autumn, when the stores are full of
lamb straight from the summer's mountain pasture.  It is definately paleo,
at least if you drop the potatoes.

Erik