From:
Elsie Steinwachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:39:32 -0700
>You'll find that the authors of Neanderthin and many others on
>this list tend to take to late Pleistocene era -- the period of
>large-scale hunting of large mammals -- as representative of
>paleolithic diet in general, even though this period may
>represent a relatively brief and recent interval in the evolution
>of human beings.  The possibility that the human race did not
>emerge *uniformly* adapted to such a diet is heavily discounted.
>In part, this is why we argue about Cro-Magnons and the like.

Thank you.  I see that.

>> Does anyone here have information about a general gathering/hunting type of
>> diet that includes fish, small prey, greens, root vegetables and nuts?
>> This esoteric stuff is fine intellectually, but isn't doing my body any
good.

>This is rather like my own diet.  I consider chicken, turkey,
>Cornish hens, etc. to count as "small prey."  I do make use of
>lean beef.  A diet of this sort must get most of its calories
>from nuts or root vegetables, depending on whether you want fuel
>from carb or fats.  I prefer nuts, which are mostly
>monounsaturated fat, low in carbs, very low glycemic index, but
>reasonably high in nutrients.

If I don't eat those assorted "different" fats I get into nutritional
trouble.  So I don't have room to accommodate the more popular meat sources
of fat; can't eat that much, and it does drive up the cholesterol.

For information purposes for anyone on the list who cares, I have problems
tolerating feed-lot beef -- makes me sick to my stomach-won't stay down.
But when I lived overseas and ate grass-fed beef I had no problems
tolerating it.  I have no idea why the difference, but I can easily give up
beef so am not going to worry about it.  Just thought people might like to
know that there is some difference between grain-and-grass beef.  It's not
just the fat amount, either, because I can eat lamb and pork.

>For what it's worth, my serum cholesterol soared on the mammalian
>fat-based diet but normalized on the lean meat, nuts, and greens
>type of diet.
>
>Todd Moody

Thank you for that information.  I will look with interest at your future
messages.

Patty at [log in to unmask]