Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 18:33:01 -0400
ginny wilken posted:

>>Todd; have you looked into nonprescription thyroid supplements such as R&D
or Standard Process? ....The single doses are just under what would need a
prescription, and in most cases of borderline or subclinical low thyroid, it
will make a difference.

My reply:
The thyroid supplements one can get over the counter differ from
prescription thryoid in several ways.  First, the OTC thyroid products sold
by chiropractors and in health food stores, come from dried thyroid but have
had the active thyroid hormone removed.  By law, a product that contains
thyroid hormone can only be sold by prescription.  As my chiropractor
explained, Standard Process's thyroid glandular supplement is a
protomorphogen; it does not contain thyroid hormone but is thought to
stimulate your own immune system and may be helpful when one's thyroid
problems have an autoimmune component.

Ginny said:
I guess I'm with Dori on this; I started taking a tiny bit, and a LOT of
small problems got better. ...

My reply:
I am glad to hear that you have been getting good results with the thyroid
glandular product you are taking.  Am am curious to know if you are using
one of the brands you mentioned, and if so, which one.  I know people who
have taken OTC (over the counter) thyroid glandular products who have not
noticed any change in temperature or low thyroid symptoms as a result.  What
is R & D brand?  I have not heard of that one.

It is a shame that the thyroid gland, a food to many primitive peoples,
cannot be sold to consumers in most states the U.S.  In Asia people used
thyroid soup to tonify the thyroid.  In Britain, in the 1800s and early
1900s people made thyroid sandwiches.  In the U.S., you cannot buy the
thyroid gland (just another organ meat, right??!) in supermarkets.  A friend
who raised cattle in Ohio and has them butchered in USDA inspected plants
says he cannot get the thyroid or kidneys.  The Meat inspectors won't let
him take them; the inspectors order that it be destroyed!  Can you imagine?
How absurd. They are his cattle!!!  Our government has gotten into things,
control of our food supply, and as a result we cannot procure many foods
which are fit for humans, while unfit (irradiated, genetically engineered,
artificial) foods  are pushed upon people right and left.  What a shame!

I did once get my hands on 1 pound of thryoid meat from a grass fed steer,
from a different state.  It was sooo delicious.  Out of cautions I'd heard
about hazards of taking too much thyroid, I divided up the thyroid so that
not more than 1 ounce was eaten per day.  (Of course the organ meats are far
less concentrated than the thyroid extracts used in prescriptions....)
There was no noticeable change in heart rate, body temperature, libido, or
other processes.  No adverse effects whatsoever!  It was not something
available on any regular basis.   It was hard to come by--- the farmer
raised a small number of grassfed cattle, which were butchered in the fall;
the cattle were much smaller and thus had smaller thyroids than the grain-
and soy-fed/fatted steers.  Three steers produced a single 1 pound package
of thyroid!  I would eat it more often if I had access to it, to get a wider
range of nutrients.  Grassfed lamb and beef hearts are much easier to come
buy, although the kidneys seem to disappear in the meat processing plants,
like the thyroids!

Btw:  The guy who ran the butcher shop/meat processing plant said he has
customers who buy thyroid (from cattle raised with hormones and antibiotics)
and regularly cook it, and love it.  So I presume that these folks were
eating it as a main dish, like folks eat liver, not rationed into 1 ounce
per day, divided into three 1/3 ounce doses!

Interesting!

Rachel