From:
Steve Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 21:59:02 +0100
Hi Folks,

I am a newbie but think you may be interested in some correlations within my
area of  interest - human memory - and the Paleo regime.

I have started CR and read The Anti-Aging Plan and Mastering The Zone,
excellent. Neanderthin however is a US book so have not ordered it from the
UK so far (It is well supported on the Web however).

Apart from a pile of clipboard cuttings from the archives I recently ran
through Ben Best's text file:  www.benbest.com/calories/cran98.html and
noticed that after some years on CRAN he was not without feelings of hunger
on occasion.

Whereas this topic crops up very nicely in Mastering The Zone, I was
interested to note that the Paleolithic diet may have the effect of
quenching hunger somewhat too (notwithstanding nutritional matters).

I did find that both the Zone and Paleo regimes seem to address the issue of
hunger directly and so far am unable to discover if the Paleo diet exceeds
the Zone in curbing it.

The basis of Paleo thinking as it may be used within CR is that certain
foods only entered our eating habits in comparatively recent times and that
we may still be genetically more adapted to eliminating grains, beans,
dairy, potatoes & sugar from our diet, in other words trying to mimic the
eating habits of our ancestors.

Here is the comparison from my own area of interest that illustrates how we
can benefit from mimicking some other habits of out ancestors:-

The use of accelerated learning, aside from the background use of Baroque
music also recommends that you visualise at the same time as any learning
takes place. The findings dating back from the early 1980's show that verbal
memory speed is inferior to visual memory by a factor of some thousands and
that the subconscious processes information much faster again.

So the brain is basically brilliant at 1) association & 2) pattern
recognition and poor at 3) verbal reasoning and processes that usually rely
on this part of the brain which include reading, writing & mathematics.

Paleo folks will therefore note that 1 & 2 relate heavily to out Paleolithic
period whilst our own (imposed) 3) language based processes, such as the
multiplication tables relate to a much more recent period.

The comparison may strengthen the argument for Paleo.

Best, Steve.
(The UK Mindsport Olympiad incidentally is being held next weekend in
London).