From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:02:02 +0100
Re comment:- "Does this happen in the absence of carbs? Or perhaps: if the body isn't
> overloaded dealing with high insulin levels and other factors, does this
> have much of an effect? Have the effects of AGE's, etc, been tested in
> people NOT eating SAD, etc? Are those age-related diseases correlated
> with AGE's in the diet, or caused by them? What else is a factor? (It's
> already been shown that high levels of insulin are a huge factor in
> various age-related diseases, for instance)"

Yes, AGEs are formed in the absence of carbs such as in the case of ALEs(advanced lipoxidation end products) which are a type of AGE. Cooked animal protein, and especially cooked animal fat produce the highest amounts of AGEs, so eliminating carbs wouldn't help.

Re other diets:- AGEs have been tested in vegetarians and other types, not just SAD.

There are literally 1,000s of studies done on AGEs by now and some do show that a low-AGE diet not only reduces the amounts of AGEs within the body but also improves the various AGE-related conditions over time.

Geoff

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:21:10 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: How fire made us human
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> > Re vitamin C/carbohydrates:- I keep on hearing about that link from zero-carbers but no one ever provides a decent scientific study confirming this.
> >
> If I can find it, I'll send it forth. Basically, it's that glucose and
> Vit C compete for the same cellular uptake path. The more glucose in
> your diet, the less Vit C you're getting/the less glucose in your diet,
> the less Vit C you require in your diet. It's not so much that one isn't
> consuming enough C, it's that they're consuming too many foods that
> compete with it for absorption.
> >

> > Anyway, the vitamin C issue is one of the least worrying aspects of going in for cooked zero-carb. There's a much bigger worry:- the fact that animal foods(fats in particular) produce far more heat-created toxins after cooking(such as advanced glycation end products etc.) than any other foods, thus speeding up the incidence of various age-related diseases.
> >

> Does this happen in the absence of carbs? Or perhaps: if the body isn't
> overloaded dealing with high insulin levels and other factors, does this
> have much of an effect? Have the effects of AGE's, etc, been tested in
> people NOT eating SAD, etc? Are those age-related diseases correlated
> with AGE's in the diet, or caused by them? What else is a factor? (It's
> already been shown that high levels of insulin are a huge factor in
> various age-related diseases, for instance)
> >

> > Geoff
> >

> >> Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:10:40 -0400
> >> From: [log in to unmask]
> >> Subject: Re: How fire made us human
> >> To: [log in to unmask]

> >> Cooked meat does contain trace amounts of vitamin C. You only need
> >> copious amount of C if you are eating carbohydrates.

> > MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/