From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:33:53 -0700
 But I don't want to kill the enzymes or destroy the
>great fish oils.  Has anyone done this procedure at under 102 degrees (F)
and had
>salmon jerky that didn't either go rancid or  kill them with some strange
bacterial
>food poisoning. .  Obviously if it worked, you'd be alive  reading this and
able to
>respond!!!!

I am well alive after many years of salmon jerky making . Keep it simple !

I slice the filets in 1/2 cm thin slices leaving the skin on (most of the
oil is underneath the skin so you don't waste it neither oxydise it that
way ) put in the drier at body temperature and dry hard for storage and half
dried for delicacy to eat on the spot.
No need for anything else that will spoil the taste that is superb on its
own especially with coho or sockeye ( the best species of salmon).
Dried that way the salmon keep its " instinctive stop " sharp and clear . If
your body metabolism don't want salmon you will know it clearly if it want
it the taste is sublime.
When you season you can bypass this instinctive response and eat something
that will become a burden on your metabolism.
I am under the impression that putting salmon in Brine or lemon juice or
whatever which interfere in the osmotic balance between inside and outside
of the cells,  will use up Enzymes as well as heat  , triggering all kinds
of chemical reactions  altering the originel nutrient content . By adding
honey or sugar  even more so ( proteins and sugars combine)
The oil is highly oxydable , so to store dry salmon keep in air tight jar
inside the fridge in darkness..( it is why it is so important to leave the
skin on while drying .
Once dried insert a rond ended knife between the skin and the flesh , you
can easely separate the 2 and scrape the skin to get the fat layer.( the
best when you need that kind of fat , )
I am drying a lot those days freshly caught sockeye salmons( west coast of
canada)  and have some for sale to whoever want an ecstazic experience
filling the omega 3 hole. write me privately . The sockeye saison end up
soon.
jean-claude