From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:49:33 -0500
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:22:48 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In addition, weight loss by definition involves metabolic slowing.  Your
>basal metabolic rate is the energy you use keep all your tissues alive
>even if you do nothing else but lie there.  As you lose weight you have
>less tissue to support.  Even fatty tissue is metabolically active.  As
>you lose weight your energy demand drops.  I've read that in calorimeter
>studies overweight people have been shown to have *higher* metabolic
>rates than people of normal weight, which is actually what you'd expect,
>given the energy demands imposed by the extra weight.  So even without
>thyroid dysfunction there is going to be some metabolic slowdown.

That's a little depressing -- one moves Heaven and earth to shed fat only
to end up with a slower metabolism!  Any thoughts on whether the slowing
down is permanent?

Also, I weighed my goal weight (actually, a few pounds less than my goal)
for many years while eating and drinking (vodka) way too much.  Is it the
youth associated hormones which would have been higher then that could have
allowed me to be such a pig yet remain very slim?