From:
"E. McCreery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:43:40 -0600
Hans,

I accidentally hit a deer running across the road at 3am last summer, and
spent a few hours with her waiting for someone to pull over help. Luckily,
the first person who pulled over was a veterinarian going home from work,
but that's another story.
What I noticed while I was keeping her calm is that her udders were very
large, and I remembered seeing a young deer near her that escaped a
different way. I assume it was her offspring. Anyway, it looked as if there
was enough for a snack in there for one person, though certainly not enough
to be worth the effort of extracting (and it was squeezable, I palpated out
of curiosity). Cooking the udder would be a more efficient method, in my
opinion. As far as modern cattle-beasts are concerned however, if the
lactating cows aren't milked every day, the milk does build up and causes
pretty extreme discomfort and (I've heard) can even kill the cow. Suckling
does help, but just that alone tells me that significant milk production
happens when the udders/nipples are not being directly stimulated.

Ellie