From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:31:56 EST
A friend of mine is constantly commenting on how "dangerous" my diet is (when
we have lunch, I just eat meat and a salad or green veggies).  She pointed me
to a Q& A on Barry Sears' Zone Diet website that makes a ludicrous comment
about ketosis.  Does anyone have any references I can use to dispute this??
Of course the fact that I am trying to lose some pounds I regained over the
holidays doesn't help any arguments I've tried to make to her about how carbs
are not necessary, etc. etc.  I realize that certain carbs are perfectly
appropriate on a paleo type regime, but I thought they were not necessary and
in my experience, too many fruit carbs will halt any weight loss and/or cause
blood sugar issues in many.  Thoughts?

No-carbohydrate diet?"

Dr Sears,

I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance and high cholesterol. My
doctor asked me to eliminate all carbohydrates from my diet and to see a
nutritionist.  I was having a very hard time with a no-carbohydrate diet, so
my mom suggested that I read your book.  I read "A Week in the Zone" and have
never felt so confident in a diet or lifestyle change. I am following this
religiously.  Is this going to be an OK diet to help with my insulin
resistance, and how do I explain to the doctors and nutritionists that I do
not want to go on a no-carbohydrate diet?

Thank you,
Misty

Dear Misty,

It has been shown clinically that the Zone Diet reverses insulin resistance
within a short period of time.  A low-carbohydrate diet will induce ketosis
that if maintained for a long period of time, will actually cause the fat
cells to adapt to become fat magnets.
.