From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:33:27 -0500
Bummer about the wild rice -- I just do not care much for sweet potatoes.

What I'm still not clear on is that if starches refuel glycogen stores
necessary for high intensity anaerobic exercise better than simple sugars
such as fruit -- then what can one use for starch other than sweet potatoes
that is still considered paleo??

Also, if man can purportedly thrive on meat and fat alone, then why does
one need a starchy "carb-up" to refuel glycogen stores necessary for high
intensity anaerobic exercise?  How did our pre-neolithic paleo ancestors
carb-up sufficiently if the only significant sources of carbs were fruit
(scarce & seasonal) and honey (even scarcer)???  Is it possible that
although man can exist on an Inuit type protein/fat regime, such a regime
does not support heavy duty high intensity exercise?

I've been reading more articles by Ron Rosedale who sounds much like
Cordain (high "good" fats, lean proteins) only stricter: lower on the
protein and only very limited low carb fruit.  His new book will advocate
15 minutes of exercise per day but the article I read didn't say what kind
of exercise.  If one's eating lower protein (only enough to maintain muscle
mass, no extra to be converted into energy), high "good" fats and low carbs
(only non-starchy veggies plus little to no fruit), how is one supposed to
exercise at high intensity levels without bonking?    I noticed when
Rosedale was on TV last night that he looks extremely fit and trim.