From:
Midas Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:45:29 -0400
"Anna L. Abrante" wrote:

> I find the above kind of sad.

Then either you misinterpreted my post, or I did not make my point
clearly enough.

> I would like to think that god's rules and laws were always in the
> interest of man-kind.  His societal rules obviously were, but why
> not diet?

Where in my post did I write that the biblical dietary rules are not
in the interest of mankind?  The Jewish ones (the kosher laws) in the
spiritual interest of Jews, while the non-Jewish one (the Noachide
dietary law) is in the spiritual interest of non-Jews.  From that
perspective, (if one believes that there's benefit in the spiritual)
one could say that they are in the interest of all mankind.

> And I understand the rules about handling and storage of food
> actually being the healthiest way to deal with it back in biblical
> times.

Reminds me of the guy who once told me I should stop keeping kosher
because we have refrigeration and sanitation now.  Like, what - kosher
food doesn't spoil?  Misses the whole point of why we keep kosher.

> I'm talking about a diet that is in conflict with the body overall.

Now I *know* you either misinterpreted or didn't read my post.  Please
permit me to quote myself: "One can...be Paleo and kosher...while on
the other hand one can also be "vegan" and kosher....  In fact, just
about *any* diet can be adapted to the kosher rules...."

> I mean, if people followed his rules (of diet in this case) and had
> the best possible health, it would be one more reason to believe.

(Quoting my last post again:) "the Jewish dietary laws have nothing to
do with *physical* health....  Besides the dietary laws, Jews are
taught to guard their (physical) health, as well as to put aside all
other laws in order to save a person's life."  The Jewish dietary laws
are what they are; it's peoples' interpretations of what is healthful
or not that change all the time.  Some people who keep kosher eat a
variation of SAD/USDA, some eat low-carb/paleo, some eat
vegetarian/vegan, some eat low fat, some eat macrobiotic, etc.....
Those who wish to follow the directive to guard their health in
addition to the directive to keep the kosher laws will seek out the
ideal diet, just as all of us on this list are doing, and follow a
kosher version of it.

> But taking Seventh Day Adventist's for example, they seem so very
> secure and satisfied in their beliefs, and follow their diet based
> on those beliefs, and are *blessed* with good health because of them.
> I would personally want to consider that proof of his greater wisdom.

I consider it proof that some people can be healthy while eating a
non-paleo diet.  ;-)  BTW, Loma Linda (a SDA company) makes all kinds
of meat substitutes (from soy, gluten, etc.) that are certified kosher
- they're popular with some kosher vegetarians or those who want to
eat "meat" and cheese together without violating the kosher rule
against mixing meat and dairy.  When we lived in California, we used
to enjoy visiting Loma Linda University (of baboon heart fame), and
stocking up on all kinds of faux "meat" in the huge SDA-oriented
supermarket right on the campus.  :-)  But, I digress...

> But it doesn't seem to be the case with kosher dietary rules.

I'll try to explain...  The kosher dietary rules belong to a subset of
Jewish Law known as "Chukim" in Hebrew.  A "Chok" (singular of
"Chukim") is a law that has *no* rational basis to it whatsoever - it
cannot be explained logically or scientifically, at least not the same
way that laws like not stealing or not murdering can be rationalized
or explained.

> And seeing as how Judaism came before Christianity, I don't
> understand why it's that way.

I don't see what one has to do with the other.  Christianity began as
a small messianic Jewish sect, whose followers kept the Jewish dietary
rules.  Later on, Christian leaders abolished the kosher laws for
their followers when Christianity became a separate, non-Jewish
religion.  But the Jewish dietary rules never applied to non-Jews
anyway; only the Noachide one did.  Actually, that's one more proof
that the kosher laws have nothing to do with physical health: Based on
the fact that the Bible seeks to teach both Jews and non-Jews equally
how to serve G-d, why would G-d want Jews to be any healthier than
non-Jews?

> Anna <seeking enlightenment, in any form>

I like your name, Anna - I was named after a much-loved great aunt
with that name... De-Anna = "from Anna" - get it?  :-)

--
Deanna