From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:07:30 -0600
My original question:  "If the [Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio] of the fats we
consume is of primary importance, rather than a nice next step to the paleo
eater wanting to even further improve one's health, how on earth have my
blood cholesterol levels gone from barely tolerable to excellent during the
same time period that I've increased my consumption of fat, primarily in
the form of grainfed beef fat and the grease from uncured bacon, five-fold?
"

Mark Labbee replied that he's "eaten grass-fed meat for several months at a
time with no noticeable improvement over what had occurred with eliminating
grains."  He's gone back to supermarket beef and bacon.

Assuming that Omega ratios are important, will there be any noticeable
short-term effects of an improper balance of Omega fatty acids?

On the actual Omega ratios of my primary source of fats mentioned above,
grainfed beef fat and bacon fat, Todd Moody says that it may be possible
that the Omega ratios for these -- especially grainfed beef fat -- actually
compare favorably to wild game, paleo man's primary source of fat.  He then
goes on to imply that it's the "absolute amount" of fat that is important.
But Phillip Thrift seems to imply that absolute levels are unimportant,
that the ratio is key: "Supposedly, by taking Omega-3 supplements, we
correct the imbalance..."

Should we consider the Omega ratio by itself, without regard for absolute,
total amounts of fats consumed?

My gut feeling, first, is that proper Omega ratios are important, but not
difficult to obtain.  As I've said before, there are myriad choices at the
normal grocery store.  Wild game or grassfed beef are wonderful, but luxury
items out of the reach of most of us.  Second, absolute fat levels are, for
all practical purposes, an unimportant consideration.  My reasoning?  1)
The consumption of fat gives the body immediate feedback on satiation.  2)
The body passes unneeded fat.  [Both 1 and 2 are true only for the paleo
eater.  The consumption of grains masks satiation and allows
overconsumption of fat.  And much of this fat is retained as a defense
against the grain (or other offending items), which the body rightly regard
as an invader.]

Jim Swayze