From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:43:37 -0600
Quoting from the article, with my comments:

> http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/06.13/01-cooking.html
>
> Wrangham was staring at a fire one evening in his
> backyard when thoughts about the difficulty of eating raw
> food ignited the embers of his theory. "I've studied chimps
> for many years in East Africa," he notes. "To get insight
> into how they live, I have eaten the same food they do.
> Chewing raw food requires a lot of work."

Chewing fibrous plants is a lot of work, but raw meat and raw fat are
not a lot of work to chew.

> Studies of modern food faddists who eat only raw food
> indicate that it's not a very healthy diet. About a third of
> such people have chronic energy deficits, according to
> one study. Half of the women stop menstruating. "And this
> is under the best possible conditions," Wrangham notes,
> "when the food is abundant and of good quality."

So these researchers are assuming that a vegan raw diet is what our
ancestors ate?  Raw vegans do not get enough protein or fat and they
usually eat too much sugar from fruit.  A raw animal protein and
animal fat diet is extremely healthy.

Jana