From:
Sandy Rzetelny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:55:19 EST
In a message dated 2/9/99 1:34:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Home schooling is an interesting proposition, but has several problems,

 1.) They would miss the social aspects of school and interacting with their
peers.>>

I homeschool my son. He has much more social interaction than he would if he
were at school. In school, kids are so frustrated being with each other-
sitting right next to each other but not being able to play or talk with each
other.The agenda is to interact with each other only as the teacher directs
and for amounts of time that are abysmally minimal except during lunch and
recess).

Homeschooled kids can spend full days and nights during the week playing with
friends as they wish and he dont have to worry about homework interfering.
Most school kids I know cant even play when they get home cause they have to
do homework first. So they obsess about homework for hours and never get to
play.

 Also after school, they have  more adult structured activities, (piano,
ballet, little league), never having much free time just to be themselve and
do fantasy play or unstructured play with friends. And they spend lots of time
being hurried here and there.

During the school week or weekends my kid can sleep over friends house 2-3
nights in a row if he and they want. Recently they have spent several series
of days and nights together working on their own group film with no adult
interference.

 <<2.) It is a lot of work.>>

It can be a lot of work if your goals are different from your child's, and you
therefore get into power struggles over what he learns. If you take the view
that children have a natural inborn passion to learn as much as they can,  and
that through play and fun they learn the most- then it's no problem.

If you're saying it's a lot of work spending large amounts of time with kids-
that's something else. That may be because in this culture many of us adults
have a lot of trouble knowing how to have fun and to be kids at heart. I
believe it would be real healing to be able to be as carefree and funloving as
kids.Which is what our kids try to teach us.

<<3.) My wife would have to do the schooling so it is more her decision.>>

With homeschooling/unschooling the world/child is the teacher. One person does
not necessarily have to  feel the burden. Non coersive parenting, providing
information and resources to the child as requested, I believe is the way to
go. This you would ideally do in parenting your child anyway. So with
homeschooling its just moreso.

There are homeschooling / unschooling lists if you are interested.

 <<I've know people that do home schooling.  It is a unique commitment>>

Yes to your children.

 <>

That's great that you give you kids some of  the attention and help they need.

But, in general I wonder why is it that kids have a full day at school (9-3),
then have at least 2 hours of homework, usually more? This is at least
equivalent of an adult's full day at work. I thought there were child labor
laws.

Coupled with this, the anxiety the child must feel over grades, testing,
competition against other children, rules and regulations against cooperating
with each other (eg helping each other during exams). And rules against
talking when you want to, walking, running, jumping, etc when you want to,
eating when you want, using the bathroom as needed etc.

What about sitting for hours in rooms with florescent lights, punishments for
unruly behavior, I could go on and on. If a parent was found to force their
child to sit for 5 hours a day 5 days a week 48 weeks a year- that parent
might be charged with child abuse. But if the school system does it, it is
considered *education.*

On top of my list of coersions perpetrated  by schools is that children cant
go home to parents if upset, or just want to see them for a hug. What has
happened to their childhood?

 All  in all, I think that all of the stress generated by school is an
emotional and physical health hazard for children. Stress raises cortisol
levels, which predisposes one to disease as mentioned in the article below.

BTW, as I reread my post...I didnt mean to be so pushy about homeschooling. It
just came out that way cause I feel so passionate about it. What I really mean
to say is: keep your options open and listen to your kids. If you are getting
clues from their behavior and from what they say that they are not happy
there, then  maybe you can begin looking for other solutions, starting with
allowing them to stay home on days when they ask to. I do understand that for
some families homeschooling may not be a viable  option.

Love Sandy

Known Treatment at the Present Time, as Being ``High Cortisol Diseases;'' Thus
Opening Them up to New Therapy - The Anticortisols

     LAS VEGAS--(BW HealthWire)--Jan. 29, 1999--Steroidogenesis Inhibitors
International (OTCBB:STGI) today announced submission of a medical manuscript
that indicates a new way, "The Cortisol Chart," of measuring cortisol, the
powerful immune suppressive hormone. Dr. Alfred Sapse, President of STGI is
the lead author, in a collaboration with a prestigious team of French
university professors and scientists. Dr. Sapse commented, "The chart would
unmask, for the first time, previously unsuspected cortisol's major role in
many diseases, including ones with no known treatment, thus opening them to a
new therapy -- the anticortisols. In this respect, STGI believes that
ANTICORT(TM), its first anticortisol drug, would play a substantial role in
the treatment of these diseases.

     ANTICORT(TM) has been approved by the FDA for a clinical study in an HIV
positive population, whereby cortisol plays a major role in the destruction of
the immune system. It is the belief of STGI that if and when approved,
ANTICORT would become a strong ally of the present anti-HIV medication, by
bringing back to life an immune system severely damaged by cortisol. However,
submitting a manuscript for pubication does not necessarily mean that it will
be accepted; any acceptance could take up to six months for publication.

     STGI has already initiated contacts with major universities and research
centers where "The Cortisol Chart" would be used to detect high suspected
cortisol in depression (presently resistant to all medication) multiple
sclerosis (MS), psoriasis and a certain form of cancer exhibiting a
particulary high level of cortisol. STGI also plans to commence open clinical
trials in the diseases above.

CONTACT:

Steroidogenesis Inhibitors International

Janet Greeson, Ph.D.

702/735-7001

or

H.L. Lanzet Inc.