Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:35:42 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:

> Re pemmican comment:- I'm always amazed at why anyone can recommend
> pemmican. The whole point of the healthy foods movement is to stay
> well away from any preserved foods which last for decades, as there's
> a standard rule that the longer the shelf-life of a food , the lower
> its quality will always be.

The point of the healthy foods movement is to support health while doing
no harm.
Pemmican is proven to do that.

> Re comment:- "Starvation/malnutrition also leaves telltale marks on
> the bones as well"
>
> As I showed in a recent post, there were indeed examples of telltale
> marks of starvation on palaeo bones:- I made that point re famine as
> it's commonly accepted by palaeoanthropologists that famine was a
> routine part of the palaeolithic era:-

For neanderthal man.

> "Combined with a relatively low average age at death, the hypoplasia
> evidence suggests that Neandertals underwent periods of nutritional
> stress or famine on a frequent basis "  taken from:-
>
> http://www.pnas.org/content/98/19/10972.full

So neanderthal man was improvident. So what.

> Re comment on AGEs:- "AGE's require glucose and oxidization. Many
> studies implicating
>> cooking/fried foods included high amounts of PUFA's and/or other
>> 'modern' foods including foods that break down to glucose."
>
> This is very misleading. AGEs do NOT just require glucose. That
> applies to only 1 type of AGE.

They require glucose AND the absence of an enzyme.

  There is also another category of
> AGEs, known as "ALEs"(="Advanced  Lipoxidation Endproducts") which
> involve the oxidation of fats and don't require glucose:-
>

> http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1067029/advanced_glycation_and_lipoxidation_end_productsamplifiers_of_inflammation_the_role/index.html
>

> http://tinyurl.com/lh93vt

Consumption of ALEs has no apparent effect, so it is reasonable to
question whether they exist other than in the crazed minds of vegetarian
crackpots.

William