From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 18:12:36 -0400
Lori wrote:
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. What are some good sources of calcium for our little one?  I know
> leafy greens are good - what about the juice of leafy greens?  (she
> loves V8 juice-so e'd like to get a juicer and make it for her fresh
> without who-knows what in it).  Do any of you use a juicer (I know, not
> paleo)?

I would imagine greens juice has calcium. Be aware that spinach has a lot of
oxalic acid that makes the calcium not as bio available though. Without
dairy, your dd will not be secreting as much calcium so will be retaining a
maximum percentage of what she consumes.

I eat sardines quite often, which have loads of calcium.

A fine source is homemade stock. Roast bones and cook them in water with a
bit of onion, garlic, carrot and celery, along with a bit of lemon juice or
vinegar (I consider cider vinegar paleo). I don't add anything else to this.
Cook for hours. This has  alot of calcium in it and of course makes great
stock for soups which your daughter will probably love.

> 2.  Also, where on earth can I get coconut butter at a decent price?
> The local health food store sells it for $9.00 for 8 ounces!
> Deffinately not within our budget!

I have purchased from a soap making website and this is not food grade but
indistinguishable (to me) from any other type. It cost $40 for a huge drum
of it and it keeps very well without refrigeration.

> 3.  I have been making fruit and ground nut "shakes" to have for
> breakfast with our bacon and eggs (I don't eat the eggs, so I need
> somehting else).  I use a little coconut milk, pure juice, etc.  I add
> mango, berries, apples, ocassionally a banana - whatever I have on
> hand.  Is this too much fruit?  I don't know which fruits are high in
> carbs.  I haven't really been counting fruit carbs because I feel my dd
> needs them.

If you eat fruit as fruit, you are less likely to over consume. Pulverizing
or juicing fruit will encourage you to consume too much, IMHO. I keep the
fruit shakes to a minimum, perhaps as an occasional dessert. I eat more
fruit in the summertime.

> 4.  Also, which root veggies (if any) are considered paleo?  Before we
> started NeanderThin, we put in a garden and have beets, parsnips and
> radishes growing.  We also planted a bunch of snap peas and sugar peas -
> not paleo?  I'm obviously not going to tear them up, and we will eat
> them - I was just wondering.

I'm not sure these are not paleo, if they can be consumed raw then they are
considered paleo according to the Neanderthin definition. I eat beets and
radishes and parsnips, though I am sparing in my consumption of them as I
watch my carb consumption and they are high in carbs.

Welcome to the list!! Glad you found the paleo way

--Richard