From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:20:17 +0000
On Jan 16, 2006, at 6:52 pm, Todd Moody wrote:

> Robert Kesterson wrote:
>
>> I didn't mean to say that the "one a day" diet was ketogenic, only
>> that it  was similar in the way it uses and replenishes glycogen
>> stores.  You are  quite right that ketosis is not likely if you're
>> eating carbs at that one  meal.
>

> Well, in a ketogenic diet, the glycogen stores are not replenished--
> at least not fully.  Since some tissues require glucose, the result
> is that for at least part of each day there is no stored glucose
> for the tissues that need it, and fat is burned in the absence of
> glucose, and the result is ketosis.  But the way I'm doing this, I
> shouldn't really ever run out of glucose.

I'm still confused about ketosis.  I  hear a lot of contradictory
explanations.  Maybe someone can explain this to me once and for all.
Here is how I understand it:

- most of the body's cells can run on fat (ketones) and do not need
carbohydrates

- the cells that do need carbohydrates can obtain them from
carbohydrates in food or protein (through glucogenesis)  (I also read
in one place that carbohydrates can be produced from fat, but I'm not
sure about that)

- stored carbohydrates (glycogen) are used rapidly during strenuous
exercise and must be replenished later

And here are my questions:

- if I eat once a day in the evening, am I in ketosis at 3pm the next
day, or not?

- if I'm not, why is my body burning glycogen if it is needed in an
emergency?

- I've gone for several days before eating very few carbs (10-20g)
and not noticed any difference in how I feed.  No metallic taste in
my mouth (like Atkins promises) and no noticeable difference in
stamina.  In fact I dont feel much different if I miss a whole day's
food (except more hungry).  Am I missing something?

Thanks
Ashley