From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 08:42:02 +1000
Arsenic was in American tobacco when they used lead arsenate the the
main insecticide until about 1978. The USA EPA tends to monitor farm
soils so this would no longer be significant. There are still high
amounts in Asian tobacco. I don't know if they still use lead arsenate,
but the level is 10 times higher than Australia. In Australia the lead
arsenate is just residue from historical use which ceased in the seventies.

Both lead and arsenic are carcinogenic. The levels definitely used to be
significant but they also sprayed apples and other food crops, but only
tobacco is inhaled.

See www.lead.org.au
I have a degree of experience regarding lead.