From:
Karla Plank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:18:18 -0400
Hello Ken and Louise,

Yes, I'm the Karla from the D'Adamo board.  And, thanks for the correction--I'm
and INFJ who values typos.  And Python refers to Monty, though I'm sure the
reptiles are worthy of praise as well.

In answer to Ken's question, I've been Zoning for three years now.  At first,
the Zone kicked all possible manner of butt, but after about 18 months, started
going haywire, as did my weight, my skin, my health, and my hormone balance.
Upon finding the O diet, I realized that my daily use of non-fat cheese and soy
was a real problem, as was the lack of red meat.

It was nice coming onto the O diet from the Zone, because I was able to change
foods in a rather scientific way by leaving my block amounts, meal sizes and
frequencies, and my exercise level alone, and change only my food choices.  My
health improved markedly and I lost about 16 pounds within the first 5 months.
However, I have plateaud at 30% fat, and can't seem to get lower (I like 25%).

I also found that glutens were a problem, and found ways to listen to symptoms
to rout out trouble foods.  But, my hormone balance did not return, and my skin
did not heal, and still hasn't in my 9th month on a strict O regime.  I'm 38.

My movement to true paleo would not be too hard.  My only dairy is organic ghee.
My only grain is organic rice eaten maybe 3x per week.  And, I'm holding onto
organic black beans and pintos for the bulkiness of them, but I don't really
like them.

Here's the thing.  I've given up so much, but don't feel well.  I'm very tired,
and rather constantly depressed in a fatigue-y, can't-get-the-energy-together
way.  I tried low carb, Protein Power, no grain, less fruit, but what happens
is that I feel even less energy, and no desire to eat or make food whatsoever.
So, I add rice or fruit back in to recover my appetite.

So what I have is a great deal of information, but no real, in-the-body experience
of the vibrant health and easy weight loss people clamor about.  I'm willing to
let go of the rice, beans, and ghee, but I don't have that shiny hopeful belief
that I will then gain all health, rid my town of rats, and be able to play the
electric sousaphone in just five days!

What I feel is that I've painted myself into a corner here.  I can't go back to
the SAD, or to dairy, or to grains, or to non-organic eating, or to any of the
old ways.  But the new ways are sucking, and I can't get a handle anymore on what
the hell else I can add or remove to feel better again.

I eat Organic veggies, but no nightshades, organic fruits but no melons or oranges
Diestel turkey, organic eggs, Rocky chicken, Coleman Beef, organic olive oil,
no sweeteners or processed foods, and I drink 10-12 glasses of filtered water
every day.  I also eat walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and almond butter.
I mountain-walk regularly, and am doing a physical therapy-type set
of exercise called the Egoscue Method.  I take some vitamins, but am weaning
myself off of them.  My God, I know people who would pay me cash money to take
care of their bodies as I take care of mine.  Could organic rice, organic pintos,
and organic ghee really be dragging me down and keeping me there?

Sorry this is so long. But sometimes, stories just are.  Thanks for any input.

Karla--fast burner, northern European, all relatives O neg rh neg