From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:05:21 -0500
> I disagree, The Jewish dietary laws
> had everything to do with health.  Pig
> meet can have all kinds of nastier in it.
> Now we cook it well so that is not a problem.
> The Friday fish also promotes good health.
>  By prohibiting Pig meat it kept the Israelites separate from the
> other religions.
>
> R. Keene

Please read "Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches" by Marvin Harris.  Jews and
Muslims avoid pigs for environmental reasons (lack of shade and water) and
not health concerns.  Anthropologist Harris goes on to explain the  other
subjects in the tittle as well as the relationship between population
densities and the development of vegetarianism.

Most of his books are written for a popular audience and are very enjoyable.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"